Charlotte weather update: More heavy storms expected


Severe storms containing half-inch hail and 40 mph wind gusts knocked out power to thousands of people in the Charlotte area Saturday afternoon, officials said.

About 10,600 Duke Energy customers in the Carolinas remained without power at 5:45 p.m. and 8,883 at 6 p.m., including more than 800 in China Grove, north of Kannapolis, and about 400 west of Charlotte, including about 300 near the airport, according to the company breakdown map.

Just before 3 p.m., Doppler radar tracked severe thunderstorms moving at 20 mph along a line stretching 5 miles northwest of downtown to 4 miles east of Rock Hill, have National Weather Service meteorologists said in a statement. special weather report.

The warning area included Mecklenburg, Gaston, Union and Cabarrus counties and York and Chester counties in South Carolina.

No damage was immediately reported.

Sunday has a 30% chance of repeat showers and thunderstorms, mostly after 2 p.m. according to the NWS Forecast Charlotte at 6 p.m. Saturday.

The threat increases to 40% Sunday evening and up to 80% Monday, according to forecasts. Expect a 60% chance of showers on Tuesday and a 40% chance on Wednesday, before the chance of showers and thunderstorms rises to 60% on Thursday, according to the NWS.

Charlotte hit 90 degrees on Saturday and is expected to hit 91 degrees on Sunday, NWS meteorologists said. The highs could then cool to 80 on Monday and 73 on Tuesday before rebounding to 81 on Wednesday, the forecast said.

Charlotte Observer Related Stories

Joe Marusak has been a reporter for The Charlotte Observer since 1989, covering locals, towns and major news events in the area, and served as editor of the newspaper’s press office. He is currently reporting on the latest news.


Comments are closed.