North Carolina is full of historic sites. About 75,000 properties are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, according to the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources.
Now the National Register has added 15 more historic places in the state. The sites include individual properties and neighborhoods. They stretch across the state from the historic commercial district of Belhaven in Beaufort County to the former Ashe County Memorial Hospital.
“North Carolina is a leader in the nation’s historic preservation movement and the National Registry is a vital tool in preserving our state’s historic resources,” said Susan Kluttz, secretary of the Carolina Department of Cultural Resources North.
Explore the map below to find the location of each new historic site in North Carolina:
Or take a look at the list to learn more about the sites by region within the state:
Eastern North Carolina
Carter-Simmons House, near Albertson, Duplin County
The house was built as Alexander Carter’s plantation house in the first decade of the 19th century. In 1851, Daniel W. Simmons purchased the house, which led to its reduction to a one-and-a-half-storey house with a porch. It would become one of the most intact pre-war examples of an extant coastal cabin in Duplin County.
Belhaven Historic Shopping District, Belhaven, Beaufort County
As Belhaven’s main shopping center, the district comprises 13 largely intact buildings erected to house banks, pharmacies, general stores and a cinema. It represents the 65-year period of commercial development of the city in the 20th century.
Flyway Club, Knotts Island, Currituck County
Flyway Club is a rare example of the remaining poultry hunting lodges established at the turn of the 20th century in the northeast corner of the state. The lodge consists of a large farm building from the late 1920s and a large two-story, multi-gabled hunting lodge from 1960. It stands on the eastern shore of Currituck Sound. The farm building is a local example of an outhouse designed to help run the estate and house the workers who worked at the Flyway Club.
Central North Carolina
Carolina Casket Company, High Point, Guilford County
The architecture of the three-story brick building represents the distinctive design of slow-burning heavy wood construction. Built in 1929, the building is made up of load-bearing brick exterior walls, a shallow gable roof, rows of large industrial multi-paned metal windows, two-ply wood floors, and support posts and beams. in wood.
Coleman-Franklin-Cannon Mill, Concord, Cabarrus County
The factory was one of the first African-American owned and operated textile factories in North Carolina. It was established in 1898 by Warren Clay Coleman, one of the wealthiest black businessmen in the state at the time.
Chapel Hill Historic District Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation, Chapel Hill, Orange County
Initially listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, this new nomination provides information on the growth and development of the university and the district in particular from 1920 to 1964. It also gives an architectural overview of the district from 1905 to 1964, starting with the date of construction of the oldest building within the limit of increase.
James H. and Anne B. Willis House, Greensboro, Guilford County
The Willis House represents the distinctive features of modern home design in its architecture. This includes a long, low front gable roofline, large floor-to-ceiling windows, an open floor plan, and a beamed structural system.
RF Outen Pottery, Matthews, Mecklenburg County
The property is locally significant for Rufus F. Outen’s artisanal pottery exploitation from 1952 to 1965. It is also significant for the design of his 1952 rectangular oil-venting kiln. Outen produced pieces based on designs by historic pottery, like butter churns, jars, pitchers, rabbit water bowls and jars.
Erwin Historic Shopping District, Erwin, Harnett County
The district comprises 13 brick-built commercial buildings from the early to mid-20th century that chronicle the beginnings of the mill town’s history, starting with its founding in 1903 for Erwin Cotton Mills, a textile company owned by the Duke family of Durham. The commercial district served the townspeople who were mainly factory workers, as well as the surrounding farmers. This was possible because the area had both service establishments and retail businesses.
Westview Cemetery, Wadesboro, Anson County
The cemetery is located on the edge of the African-American quarter of the city. It is possibly the oldest extant historical resource associated with the African American community of Wadesboro. The cemetery was established in 1898 by a black funeral club, but oral tradition states that the area served as the city’s black cemetery before that date.
Dr. Ezekiel Ezra Smith Home, Fayetteville, Cumberland County
Dr. Ezekiel Ezra Smith was a leader in the development of the State Normal School in Fayetteville, now Fayetteville State University. It was the first public normal school for African-American teachers in North Carolina and the first state-sponsored teacher training institution in the South. The school was founded in 1867 as the Howard School. For nearly 50 years, Dr. Smith was the principal of the school. In 1902, he bought two lots in the city and had the large Queen Anne-style house built for his family, where they lived from 1902 to 1909.
West North Carolina
Dillard B. and Georgia Sewell House, vicinity of Penrose, Henderson and Transylvania counties
The house was built as a summer residence near the rural community of Penrose in 1924. It represents the distinctive characteristics of the neo-rustic style with its interior exposed stone walls, its roof covered with wood shingles, its recessed porch. and its stone patio.
Stone hedge, near Tryon, Polk County
The property comprises of a two-story main residence reminiscent of a rustic Italian villa, a one-story guest house and a two-story pool / guest house. All these elements are built in stone. It was built in 1935 as the rural estate of Thomas and Lillian Costa.
Ashe County Memorial Hospital, Jefferson, Ashe County
The building represents the political history of Ashe County as a largely intact public health facility built through the efforts of local leaders. These leaders raised funds to supplement the contributions of the Works Progress Administration and the Duke Endowment towards the end of the Great Depression. It served as a county hospital from 1941 to 1970 when a new modern hospital was opened south of Jefferson.
United States Post Office, Kings Mountain, Cleveland County
The well-preserved Colonial Revival style building erected in 1939-1940 remained in use as a post office until November 1986, when the operations of the postal service were moved to a new post office building. Since 2000, the Town of Kings Mountain has used the building to house the Kings Mountain Historical Museum.