Northwest Orange County weather for Sunday, November 21, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 85. Light and variable wind becoming east 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could be blowing up to 25 mph.
Mainly clear with a low of around 56. Wind northeast 5 to 10 mph.
Highs are expected to stay in the 80s briefly before dropping sharply on Tuesday and briefly returning to the 80s lows for Thanksgiving.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1620 Mayflower Expedition leaders develop the “Mayflower Compact,” designed to strengthen unity among settlers.
- 1789 North Carolina ratifies the Constitution, becoming the 12th state to do so.
- 1855 Franklin Colman, a pro-slavery Missourian, shoots down Charles Dow, a free state in Ohio, near Lawrence, Kansas.
- 1864 From Georgia, Confederate General John B. Hood launches the Franklin-Nashville campaign in Tennessee.
- 1904 Birth of Coleman Hawkins, jazz saxophonist.
- 1906 In San Juan, President Theodore Roosevelt promises citizenship to the Puerto Rican people.
- 1908 Elizabeth G. Speare, writer of historical children’s novels, is born.
- 1920 St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame baseball player Stan “The Man” Musial is born.
- 1927 Police point machine guns at striking Colorado miners, killing five and injuring 20.
- 1934 A New York court declares Gloria Vanderbilt unfit for custody of her daughter.
- 1934 Cole Porter’s Musical All is well premieres at the Alvin Theater in New York.
- 1967 President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Clean Air Act, allocating $ 428 million for pollution control.
- 1970 US planes carry out widespread bombing raids in northern Vietnam.
- 1985 US Navy intelligence analyst Jonathan Pollard arrested for spying and transmitting classified information to Israel; he received a life sentence on November 1, 1987.
- 1986 The Justice Ministry begins an investigation with the National Security Council into what will become the Iran-Contra scandal.
- 1995 The Dayton Peace Agreement is initialed at Wright Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, Ohio; the agreement, formally ratified in Paris on December 14, puts an end to three and a half years of war between Bosnia and Herzegovina.